Sunday, February 20, 2011

Who Are Arcade Fire

Go read the stuff on this site so you know what the fuck I'm talking about. http://kottke.org/11/02/who-is-arcade-fire


I'm posting this not because I don't know Who ARE Arcade Fire, but because it illustrates a few things:

1. People's celebrity worship. People on here actually write how Arcade Fire do not deserve an Award because they aren't as famous as people they have heard of.

2. People taking it personally for no reason. As far as I could tell no one on this site was nominated for Album of the year, so maybe you shouldn't be taking the loss so hard.

3. Uninformed people's inability to spell correctly. I know sometimes when using twitter the rules of grammar don't apply but, if you ever type something in all caps and hit send, your computer should self destruct and take you with it.

4. People think their dumb uninformed opinions matter. Granted most of the time the entertainment industry gets it horribly wrong, but they still know more about music than you. Watching MTV and listening to top 40 radio doesn't make you an expert on music. Almost every mainstream music publication ran stories about Arcade Fire this year. A lot even put them on the cover. So maybe, if you would just pick up a magazine and do some reading you would know who they are.

5. People who have no understanding of subjectivity. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone doesn't like it. I like the Arcade Fire, but I know that a lot of people do not. I also know that the Arcade Fire are talented people doing what they want to do and not making over produced, simplistic music meant to be mass marketed to fourteen year old girls. I would go as far to say that if you can't believe Lady Gaga lost to them, you probably aren't a real man.

Now I'm going to post this on my blog that no one has ever heard of... not even me.

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't be allowed to judge people for spelling things incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete